ICD-10 Code: M54.5 – Low Back Pain
ICD-Code M54.5 is a billable ICD-10 code used for healthcare diagnosis reimbursement of chronic low back pain. Its corresponding ICD-9 code is 724.2.
ICD-9 Code Transition: 724.2
Code M54.5 is the diagnosis code used for Low Back Pain (LBP). This is sometimes referred to as lumbago.
Other Synonyms Include:
- Acute low back pain
- C/O – loin pain
- C/O – low back pain
- Chronic low back pain
- Complaining of backache
- Facet joint pain
- Finding of sensation of lumbar spine
- Intractable low back pain
- Loin pain
- Low back pain
- Low back pain in pregnancy
- Lumbar ache – renal
- Lumbar facet joint pain
- Lumbar spine – tender
- Lumbar spine painful on movement
- Lumbar trigger point syndrome
- Mechanical low back pain
- Myofascial pain
- Myofascial pain syndrome
- O/E – lumbar pain on palpation
- On examination – abdominal pain on palpation
- Pain in lumbar spine
- Pain radiating to lumbar region of back
- Posterior compartment low back pain
- Postural low back pain
- Sacral back pain
- Tenderness of left lumbar
- Tenderness of right lumbar
General ICD-10 Information
ICD (International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health problems) is now on its 10th revision. ICD-10 codes are the byproduct of that revision. This medical classification list is generated by the World Health Organization (WHO), and is used to help healthcare providers identify and code health conditions.
ICD-10 is required for use by physicians and healthcare providers under the Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act (HIPAA) and will replace all ICD-9 code sets.
Many more new diagnoses can be tracked using ICD-10 than with ICD-9. Some expanded code sets, like ICD-10-CM, have over 70,000 codes.